A Critical Illness Can Happen To Anyone:
Of course it could. I know you probably don't think so, but neither did I.
If you had asked me 5 years ago if I ever thought I would get critically ill with Cancer, or a heart attack or a stroke and similar illnesses, I would have told you point blank NO!
This stuff only happens to other people. Boy was I wrong. Luckily I was smart enough to buy a small $100,000 critical illness policy, just about 2 years prior to my diagnosis.
This policy only had 5 questions, and if I say NO to all those questions, I was automatically approved for up to 100k of CI. So that's what I did, not thinking much about it until March 21, 2013 when I was officially diagnosed with stage 3 Colorectal cancer.
To be honest with you, the only reason I bought it was because I had to. Out manager told us that if we want to be successful in selling this kind of policy, then we should also own one ourselves. This made sense to me, so I bought it, not thinking that I would ever actually use it personally.
Look at me.. the day I received my Critical Illness policy cheque for $100,000
This is the only insurance that pays YOU while you are still alive and you can use this money for whatever you like, such as to help cover lost income, to pay for private nursing or out-of-country treatment, for medical equipment or even to pay off your mortgage. It can help you where you need it most so you can focus all your energy on recovering..
So why not do this for YOURSELF?
This was the day that everything changed for me. I don't think I need to tell you the devastating effect of a cancer diagnosis, but honestly, no matter how long I take to describe it to you, unless you have been through an experience like that, it is hard to comprehend and accept.
My First Chemotherapy Treatment
I used part of the critical illness pay-out to seek treatment outside of Canada, where they had some advanced natural medicine available that they did not allow here in Canada!
Well, this is where the fun begins.
After the diagnosis, I went through a whole lot of tests, chemotherapy, radiation, and 3 surgeries. Quite honestly, it was not easy. It was the hardest thing that I ever lived through, both physically and emotionally.
The good news is that I did survive, as do a lot of critical illness sufferers.
The bad news was that besides all the pain and suffering, my income went down drastically, becasue being self -employed, if I don't work, I don't get paid.
And this sickness prevented me from working for quite a long time.
This is exactly why I'm telling you this story, not because I want you to feel sorry for me, but rather so you learn about this, and hopefully you can also take the precaution of insuring yourself against a critical illness.
Think about it this way... you have home insurance to protect you in case of fire or theft, so you don't end up on the street.
You also have car insurance, in the off-chance that you get into an accident, so you don't lose your car.
You buy life insurance (I hope you do, if not, check out our life quote page at www.lifeshop.ca, to protect your loved ones in case of a premature death.
From the time we started selling critical illness insurance until December 31, 2015, we've paid over $348 million on 3,606 claims. Of all the claims submitted on valid policies, 86% received a critical illness benefit from Manulife. The remaining 14% of claims were denied for the following reasons:
Which critical illnesses account for the most claims?
As of December 31, 2015, 67% of the critical illness insurance claims Manulife has paid out were for Cancer!
That's right, many critical illness plans have an optional rider that you can add to your policy which will return all your premiums back to you after a certain amount of time, if you never put in a claim.
This gives you the best of both worlds... if you are diagnosed with a critical illness, you get paid the CI benefit.
But let's face it, you may be the lucky one that never gets diagnosed, so in that case you can get all your money back from the premiums that you have paid into your policy.
This makes it a no risk proposition.
Thank you very much for listening to my story. This story has a happy ending, and I am grateful to all the people that were involved in it, starting from my family, all the doctors, but mostly the nurses have been wonderful..
There is no question that going forward there will be more and more people diagnosed with serious critical illnesses, and the prices of such policies will continue to rise, so if you want to take advantage of some very competitive policy pricing, then get in touch with me ASAP, and lets explore together how we can make sure that you and your family is protected in case of any of these bad situations.